Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How to hang a photo gallery

I love my pottery barn photo gallery!





 I haven't been able to find another one like it however you can achieve the same look.

First gather up all of your photos, or artwork that you want to group together. A gallery doesn't have to be all photos or all artwork, it may be a combination. I think galleries that contain both are more interesting. Including personal items and mementos  makes your arrangement more personal.
You may want to add your child's favorite artwork, love notes, four leaf clovers etc.
I have added a cute little drawing from my granddaughter and note from my hubby.


This is Scouts picture of papa Don
 this is Dons reminder I love you!
(picture quality isn't the best but you get the idea)


(photo pottery barn)

Next decide how your items should be framed. If you are using strictly photographs, I like the frames to be the same. If you are using photos and other items them I suggest the photos be framed alike and the other object to be framed alike.  


(photo Elle Decor)


(photo Pottery Barn)

Galleries can be displayed randomly or very ordered. When your framed pieces are the same size, then a grid pattern is your best option and more dramatic. It can be tricky getting it all lined up straight. I find a lazor tool to be handy. Another trick I have used is to trace each photo on craft paper and tape the paper to the wall.  That way I can measure and adjust as needed.  

Then I measure the center top of the paper and mark on the paper where the nail should go. Hammer in the nail and tear away the paper. Pictures are ready to hang on a perfect grid!

(photo Pottery Barn)

When using a random layout I arrange everything on the floor first to decide my layout and make sure that it is balanced.  Then I trace around each piece and place the paper on the wall as before. Am I loosing you? Hope not!
Be prepared though...sometimes you may need to make more than one hole to get it just right!

I'm linking up with:


Wow us Wednesday


 Creative Bloggers Party and Hop at: At Home With K

7 comments:

  1. Well howdy there - I'm stopping by to say hello! I love gallery walls and yours looks just great! The Pottery Barn ones are nice too of course but not so sure about the Elle Decor one... too much of the same thing - know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CALL ME DEB ASAP! ~ mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are just adorable. i like it. i need a good wall to do this on!


    thestyleprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photo gallery, looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing this at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pottery Barn frames and your PB photo gallery is awesome. These are great ideas for starting a home gallery. Thanks for sharing.....

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to meet another Nebraska blogger! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Bloggers' linking party! I just love what you did with your frame collection. Hanging up your granddaughter's pic and hubby's note was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete